Tuesday, March 11, 2008

mural 101

Doing a little research into murals, and here's what's interesting...

From Wikipedia
Murals are important in that they bring art into the public sphere. For artists, their work gets a wide audience that otherwise might not set foot in an art gallery. For the city, it gets beautified by a work of art. Murals exist where people live and work and affect their daily lives. World famous are the murals in Mexico, New York, Philadelphia, Belfast, Derry, Los Angeles and in India which have functioned as an important means of communication for members of socially, ethnically and racially divided communities in times of conflict.

Blah, blah - Let's just do something cool in a public space to cheer some people up.

Trompe-l'œil
murals are interesting in that they play with 3D in a 2D space, but all these subjects are really too "classical" and boring to me:

Eric Grohe:


John Pugh:


John Pugh, again:


More modern mural designs, wall decals, etc to come...

3 comments:

Beau Mitchell said...

ANNE! I had no idea that I (heart) seeing was alive and kickin! I love the mural of the cracked wall and columns. That's just great. Also, as for the rock posters, I love them all, but especially the first set.

Calenna said...

Hi Beau! Yep - surprise, the blog is alive. March was the month to JUMPSTART "I heart Seeing"...glad you are back too. :)

Anonymous said...

This is all in New York? How is that I never saw ANY OF THIS?

By the way, you forgot the fantasticly cheery murals that you and Anna did!

I also like the new I HEART SEEING banner!