Saturday, March 8, 2008

cool rock band posters

I'm trying to design a poster for friends of mine who are getting married -- but it CAN'T be cheesy, or lovey-dovey, or LAME. They love bands like The National, Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire, and they have lots of funky band posters framed around their place, so I'm thinking of doing their commemorative poster a la rock band style.

Here was one poster artist, Leia Bell, whose style I liked a lot:







My friends liked the handwritten, bold style too, so we have a starting point.

They really like this Interpol poster, which is hanging in their apartment:


Another reference that they sent along though, were these Dead posters:







Stylistically, they're pretty different, but I think my friends thought of these posters more because of the subject matter/composition - where the illustrations are of a location (i.e., NY, SF) and something else placed within that location (i.e., skeletons). My initial sketches resemble this (i.e., Brooklyn Bridge, cats) so that is where the similarities end. Anyway, back to work...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your masterpiece! :)

I wish I were a poster designer... screw this advertising CRAP filled with filters, politics and incompetent bosses.

Anne, are you with me, or are you with me?

Unknown said...

Love that Grateful Dead poster. I live in SF and have seen it in some of my friend's apartments. I collect concert posters too. Pearl Jam (Ames Bros) and Wilco have some of the best ones and of course the Fillmore's are consistently awesome.