Sunday, September 21, 2008

the culture of museum "member previews"

Yesterday, I experienced another New York "first" -- that of the art museum Member Preview. Now, of course I know that Member Previews happen in art museums all around the world, in metropolitan cities everywhere, but I suspect that the phenomenon of the "New York City Art Museum Member Preview" is unique and very distinctly "New York."

As a member of the MoMA, I had been getting several emails and regular mailed invites to the exciting new exhibit "Van Gogh and the Colors of the Night."



One of the benefits of membership is that you get to view the exhibits before the galleries are open to the general public, about 5 days prior. This concept was very appealing to me -- the very idea of "member preview" conjured up visions of a peaceful, serene viewing experience, with members strolling through the exhibit, murmuring their appreciation for the artwork to each other, while silently congratulating their fellow members for having the smarts to join the museum and BEAT OUT the masses of hungry pedestrian artgoers who would have to see Starry Night in "general viewing."

As the security guard pointed the way to the Van Gogh gallery, my anticipation mounted as I thought about how pleasant it would be to enjoy these masterpieces all by myself -- or at least, with a few other savvy members.

Apparently, thousands of other MoMA members had the same idea.

As I turned the corner to the exhibit entrance, I was met with a massive, coiling line of pseudo highbrow art aficionados, Brooklyn hipsters, amorous young couples, frenzied parents with turbocharged baby strollers, and distinguished old gentlemen with tweed jackets. So much for having a little QT with Vincent.

And so I patiently wormed my way to the VERY end of the line, ignored the father behind me who kept pushing the baby stroller onto my heels, drowned out the MoMA staff who kept shouting "this way to the end of the line! Members and Members' Guests ONLY!" and waited my turn to shove my way into the exhibit.

It still ended up being a very interesting exhibit, despite the hordes of people. In actuality, Member Preview was probably even MORE crowded than the more regulated general admission hours, which have timed entries.

Luckily for me, the OTHER benefit of membership is that I can go back and catch Vincent on other, less-frenzied days, from now til January. I just might have to create my OWN Member Preview on some quiet, off peak Tuesday morning.

No comments: